Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The beginning...

Okay everyone! For all those waiting for so long, here it finally is. No mass emails; this is the place to come if you would like to find out what I'm doing in Germany.

Just to get everyone on the same page:
I came to Germany on Nov 3 and am staying here until I decide to come home (my return ticket is for May 31, 2007, but it could be changed if I wanted it to). But have no fear; I've already registered for university in Vancouver, so you will definitely see me in Vancouver by next school year. I've come to Germany to learn German, live in a different culture, get a break from school, and (in a small way) get away from North American society and be totally alone on the other side of the world (which may teach me a lot). I'm living with a wonderful family called the Pabst's. Some of you may remember Sam & Anna Pabst, who stayed with us in Vancouver two years ago. Well, their family. Currently, I'm helping Ueli (the father) on the family farm. I will work with him and a neighbour farmer untill Christmas, after which I'm starting a practicum with a photgrapher/graphic designer in the nieghbouring village. Well, I still have to talk to the guy and figure things out, but the possibility is looking good. The plan is to work with him for some time, possibly until the end of March, and then start to travel around Europe. Of course, this is all just "plans"; who knows what God has in store for me. Maybe something even better.

So far I've been doing very well, adjusting to a different culture and language. I've been particularly blessed by the Pabst family, who have gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable and at home. Although everything is very new and overwhelming, I'm already looking forward to the many things ahead of me. But now I must go. The second half of the handball game has begun.

PS ...I don't know if you're supposed to put postscript's on a blog...but seriously, feel free to email me or leave lots of comments on this blog. I would love to hear from you. Particularly the ones I don't hear from very often. If you email me, I promise I'll write back (sooner or later).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey thomas! it's great hearing how you are doing! I hope that you are learning lots in germany! keep smiling and rememeber not to get hit by trucks! :P

11:51 AM  
Blogger Stephie said...

Thomas!

Viele schöne Grüße nach Deutschland! Ich vermisse das schönes Land! Seit vast vier Jahre bin ich da gewesen um zu studieren – viel zu lang hin! Ich muß zurück gehen! Ich dachte das weil Du Deutsch lernen willst, vielleicht soll ich auf Deutsch zu Dir schreiben – gute Idee, oder? Also, bist Du dann bei der gleichen Familie wo Deine Schwester Miriam war, ungefähr zwei oder drei Jahre hin? Ich erinnere mich an der Name „Pabst“, aber bin nicht sicher.

Ja, so bin ich eigentlich eifersüchtig wenn ich gehört habe dass Du in Deutschland reisen gehen werdest. Viel Spaß!!! Die Leute da, besonders in die kleine Dörfer, sind so sehr nett. Sicherlich werdest Du viel Deutsch lernen und dabei viel Spaß haben! Wenn ich in Siegen war (bereich Nord-Rhein Westfalen), haben die Leute da mir immer gefragt, „Von welchem Teil Deutschland kommst Du?“ Ich habe gesagt, „ Von dem Kanadischen Teil!“

Glaube ich dass Du viel Dinge lernen werdest...und auch dass Gott sehr nah Dir sein wird. Fahre fort, immer Gott zu hören, und Du wirst nie enttäuscht sein!

Mach’s gut!
Stephie
(von West Coast)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

thomas, sounds sweet. hey, just want to tell you that i was astounded and amazed with how awesome the yearbook turned out. and thanks for putting the worst picture of me in there twice- yeah, thanks a lot. but then again, you won the contest! but seriously, the yearbook, it was good. bethi

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home