Thursday, November 16, 2006

So, here I am, sitting in my bed ready to go to sleep, but I don’t feel sleepy yet, so I shall write something. I’ve only been here for two weeks, yet it feels like I’ve been hear for two months! I have already experienced so much that it doesn’t seem possible that it could all have occurred in a mere two weeks. It’s not like my life here has been packed with events; really, the opposite is true. But each experience is so new, so big for me, that it feels like I’ve done a lot. Sometimes I get this weird feeling that this is all a dream; somehow the reality of it all hasn’t settled in. It’s hard to explain.
Life here is very much different from what I’m used to in Vancouver. I live in a small village in the country. I’m working on a farm. I hear church bells every 15 minutes. I eat my main meal at lunch instead of supper. I have my own room. I struggle communicating with other people on a daily basis. I live in a 400 year-old house. I live (more or less) next to an American military base. I drink sprudel wasser. I put Schmand on my slice of bread.
I have a lot more time on my hands here. I get up in the morning, work with Ueli on the farm until 1:00, go in and prepare a hot lunch together (which we eat as a family when the rest come home from school at 2:00), work until it gets dark at 5:30, and then my work is done. No homework to do, no volleyball practice to go to, no school events…I’ve got all this free time, and I often get a bit bored. I’m getting involved in the youth group here, but I’ve only just started to, and of course that’s only once a week. It’s hard getting used to not being up and about all the time. It’s difficult coming back from work and having nothing to do. But maybe it’s a good thing. Actually, I know it’s a good thing. I’ve been going non-stop for the last few years, and not having to worry about anything here is really wonderful. I get lots of sleep, I get the chance to read books once again…life is slow, and I like it. I know things will speed up once I get more involved in things, but for the moment I’m learning to relax and enjoy life as it comes. Living in the moment.
But now I actually must sleep. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katrina Janzen said...

Hey Tom,

the last photo rocked. you've got the eye, oh yes, you do. I'm jealous that you are in Germany, and I'm happy to hear that it is totally different from anything you've ever done. 'tis wonderful. I will definitely keep up with your blog over the months, even if I may not comment all that much. Have a good day, Capt'n Kat

6:39 PM  
Blogger t. said...

heyy bro..it's Trevor..tdot..t.
yeah i'm a nerd
two weeks...to me it feels like you just left. man it's so weird, you're in Germany! but i'm super glad to hear you're finally relaxing. Since i've known you really you've been a busy bee, so you definatley deserve the relaxing time. Pretty sure youu should be playing soccer somewhere, c'mon you're in Europe. Anyways i'll email you later for me details and such. but i'm glad to hear you're doing well and everything.
Trevor

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home