Monday, March 24, 2008

A trip to Mexico

Welcome to Thomas's newly resurrected blog! (albeit only for a brief moment)

I wish to take a few minutes of your time to tell you about an exciting opportunity coming up for me this Spring. I hope you don’t mind.
Since I started studying at UBC last fall, I have been fortunate and blessed to become involved in a Christian group on campus called UCM (University Christian Ministries – check out our website at www.ucmonline.ca). We get together every Thursday for worship and teaching, and gather in smaller bible study groups during the week to delve deeper into the word.
For the last few years now, UCM has been sending a group of students to Mexico with the main purpose of building a house for a needy family as well as other outreach work. This year is no exception, and the exciting thing is that I will be one of those heading down to Mexico in May. Here’s what we’re doing:

We (24 students and 3 leaders from all the different UCM chapters within BC) will be flying to San Diego on May 1st, renting vans and driving down the Baja to Vincente Guerrero, where we will be partnering with Hero Holidays to build a house for a needy family, as well as running soccer camps for the kids in the area…and who knows, we may be doing other unexpected things as well! We will be there for ten days before returning home. Check out last year's brochure at the bottom of this page for some more info...
Ever since I first heard of this opportunity last November, I have felt this tugging in my heart that this is something I should do. I have never been on a missions trip before, and I feel this is my chance to “test the waters” and get a feel for what it is like – perhaps a stepping stone for bigger and greater things. I’m excited to leave the comfortable, stable confines of my Canadian life and just go and serve people who are complete strangers to me, yet are in desperate need for help. And I believe they will have as great an impact on me as I on them. And so I decided to sign up and go for it – although I didn’t yet know how I would pay.

So this, of course, is where you can get to involved. There are two ways you can do this – prayer and money.
I need to raise $1100 to cover the personal costs of my trip, which includes airfare, food, accommodation, and transportation within Mexico.
We, as a group, are also committed to raising $7000 to pay for the materials and furnishings for the house. Each campus group is doing various fundraisers to reach this goal.
Our group will also need plenty of prayer. Most of us have not done missions work before. Some have very little construction experience. All of us will need God’s strength to fill us so that we can best serve the people in Vincente Guerrero and minister to their needs. A strong prayer supporter is just as important to me as a monetary donation. If you would be interested in helping us in this way, please email me and I will put you on my prayer list. I will then send out a specific list of prayer items to you in April before we go.
If you are able to make a financial contribution, here is how to do it:
-mail a cheque to my address below, or
-give me cash in person.
If you would rather contribute directly to the construction costs:
-write a cheque payable to B.C.C.M. (BC Christian Ministries) and mail it to my address (or give it to me in person)
-tax receipts are available - just be sure to include your full mailing address with your cheque

Thank you for your prayer and support. We serve an awesome God!

Thomas Sanz


2555 W 7th Ave
Vancouver, BC
Canada
V6K 1Y8
lofty[underscore]trees[at]hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home