Thursday, April 19, 2007

Brighton - Basingstoke - Winchester

Hey Hey

In Whitney now with the Franklins...

Tuesday was an excellent day, as anticipated. We slept in a bit (Kerry & Jon were enjoying not having to get up early for work), ate a light breakfast, and headed out to the Seven Sisters Park. We drove as far as we could, then walked forward to the beach at the foot of the cliffs (or close by them) and had lunch. The day was cloudy - for the first time since I've arrived - but it only added to that wonderful misty ocean feel which one often gets by the open sea. After that we drove up to the top of the seven cliffs, a renowned place for suicide jumpers, as you can just walk up to the edge and toss yourself over - no fence. I took pictures of course. Kerry didn't feel like being out in the cold anymore, so we headed back to Brighton (where the sun was shining), and toured the famous lanes, with all their cool shops & boutiques. Lovely. Had a great dinner at some Italian place before heading back to Shoreham (where they actually live), and checking out the beach by their house (literally two minutes walk from their front steps). Oh, did I tell you that on Monday night we went out for fish & chips? And this was the real thing - real cod, plenty of batter, real English chips, a dash of vinegar...made me feel fat once I was done.

Wednesday morning it was off again. Kerry dropped me off on the way to work and I headed to Winchester, where I was going to meet up with her sister Anna (and her kids) to check out the place and have a picnic. Arrived at Winchester, and was greeted by Ian's (Anna's husband) Dad. Turns out that Jack (their son) started throwing up that morning and Anna was forced to stay home. So, we headed to Basingstoke where I spent the rest of the day playing with Lottie, hanging out with Anna, and heading over to Bethan's house (two minutes' walk away) to visit her family for a few hours. They're all doing well. Bethan is waiting for her third baby to pop out at any moment. Her two kids are loads of fun. Spent the evening at Anna & Ian's place, where we had supper with Ian's dad as well. As they don't have much space, I headed over to Ian's dad's (his first name slips my mind at the moment) place to spend the night. Kerry, you're right, you have the cutest niece. Lottie is absolutely adorable. Pictures will follow (when I get to a computer where I can download them).


So Wednesday I decided to head down to Winchester myself, and I'm glad I did. The place is amazing. It's a small, but historically very important town, being the capital of England for a time. I checked out the Cathedral (built in the 11th century), took a tour of Winchester College (an all boy's boarding school founded in the 13th century for 13-17 year olds - the place is amazing; would have loved to studied there). Checked out some ruins, walked along the river, walked through all these little back alleys, bought lunch, wrote a postcard...a wonderful time. I'm telling you, I can only recommend this place, it's so beautiful. Classic English. As of now, it's my most favorite town that I've ever been to.

I headed back to Basingtoke after 2, where I got picked up by Bryn & Dorothy Franklin (who were visiting their sons in Basingstoke anyway). We drove up here to Whitney, had supper, went for a walk around the town, watched a wackful of news clips about Virginia Tech (the media is really milking it - disgusting), and now I'm heading off to bed.

These posts always find themselves being created late at night - *snore*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home