Monday, July 06, 2009

thoughts

I am in a pensive mood. Good friends, conversation, and long, late train rides do that to you. Unfortunately my thoughts have no common thread to them and so cannot easily be put down in a neat little post. You shall instead get pictures.

I watched the Wimbledon final at my Grandpa's (an avid tennis fan) on Sunday. My Grandpa turned 92 yesterday, and is still incredibly sharp for his age. His hearing, however, is going, and when he puts his special headphones on to listen to the match, you have to shout at him so that he hears you. At which point he takes his headphones off and shouts back 'What?'. Then you shout what you were going to say again. It is a good time.


At the beginning of the third set a heavy thunderstorm passed overhead, and brought with it an unbelievable deluge of rain, unlike what I have ever seen. The electric disturbance in the atmosphere was enough to knock out the satellite signal for half an hour, so I went outside to try to capture the chaos (by the way, you can click on any of the pictures to see a larger size).





This is Lindsey. She went to UBC and we were both involved in UCM there (an on-campus Christian group). She just started a YWAM in Lausanne (French part of Switzerland), so I dropped by this evening for a quick visit. It is a surreal thing to know a friend from home and then to meet in a completely different context, on the other side of the globe. It was good to talk English; I miss the long, in-depth conversations. My Swiss/German is just not good enough for it.

I am once again aware how freakishly tall I am.



Lake Geneva is big, and we sat on a jetty very similar to ones in Vancouver. The air smelt surprisingly like the sea (despite it being a lake). It is a good smell, one of my favorite on Earth.


I've grown fond of reflections and abstract things lately.






I have also grown very fond of train stations. There is something hauntingly transient about train stations.
The idea of many lives intersecting, of people meeting,

and people departing

I don't yet know how to best capture it. I feel I will have many pictures of train stations by the time this journey is over.

3 Comments:

Blogger stoph said...

Shouting at Grandpa while watching Federer dominate the court shall forever be a favorite memory. While snacking on pistachios and chocolate.

I like train stations as well. I also like your photos. And the frequency of updates. And you.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Alpha Davies said...

your photos are amazing.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thomas:

Definitely well worth my time to check out the latest updates and photos on your blog. I especially like that one of the chair and the raindrops.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home