Saturday, August 29, 2009

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A note to non-Christians:
I write this blog with a predominantly Christian audience in mind (it turns out almost all my friends are Christian. I don’t know whether to think that is a good thing or not). But this blog is linked to my facebook notes, and maybe you’re one of my non-Christian friends interested to hear how my summer is going. If you’ve been reading this from the beginning – we should talk.
I believe strongly in my faith. I am not ashamed to make that known, because I am convinced that it is true and wish that you would be able to believe it as well. Christianity is not a rational thing. I don’t believe I can convince you of the truth of it by logic or well thought-out reasoning. But I would hope that you would see me (a logical, reasonable - and often skeptical - person) be so convinced of what I believe in that I cannot help write about it all the time. Or will travel halfway round the world to Africa because I felt God told me to. Or that I devote much of my free time in Vancouver to going to church, attending bible study, and generally hanging out and talking about Christianity (and all things pertaining to it). And I would hope that at this point you would wonder why I do this. And that you would give me a call, because I would love to talk. I have found that there are many misconceptions about the Christian faith. Open conversation goes a long way to fix some of that. But back to my blog…


We went till 3 AM yesterday. It is funny how one adapts to a situation. Five hours of worship/preaching/prayer/testimonies seems like the most normal way to spend a Tuesday evening. I dislike my ability to adapt quickly – it takes out some of the sense of wonder.

I shared on Hebrews 11 (and 12:1-2). The famous faith of the patriarchs passage. It jumped into my thoughts when I was reading yesterday morning and it felt pretty clear that it wasn’t just me thinking – teaching these orphans about faith would be the last thing necessary. Or so I would think.

It was well received. It seems we often need reminding more than instructing.


I decided not to go to the King’s School to work today, but rather stick around the orphanage for the day. I feel the need for more face-time. Actually, I feel the need to know Kurundi so I can get into conversation with some of the older ones. This has perhaps been one of the most frustrating things about the language barrier – while I’m able to bond well with the younger ones, I feel like I’m missing so much by not being able to speak to the older ones, because, well, relationships start relying heavily on conversation as one grows up. I think the frustration is mutual.

Cazungu and I went to the market this morning. I found a pair of dress shoes that Cazungu bartered down to $20. Sweet. Maybe I’ll go back and buy a second pair.


Thursday, August 27, 2009





Friday, August 28, 2009

The time of goodbyes is upon me. Tomorrow evening we will have a proper farewell celebration before my flight leaves at 1:30 AM.

I went to the Bales for lunch today (one last time…). They are wonderful people and have been a big blessing to me. There is a lot of wisdom between the two of them – I wish I had enough questions to keep conversation going all day. But a bare wall in need of paint at the King School beckons.

Prayer tonight at New Hope was anointed to say the least. Wow. And the cool thing is that it is dead simple – they get together and sing and pray. No people levitating or miracles happening on the spot – but fervor unlike I have ever seen before. And that, my friends, of all the beautiful things I have seen here, is the superlative of them all. I imagine Heaven will be something like this. Only, yes…even better.

I fly to Amsterdam, where I stay one night before heading home on Monday. A final post will come at some point. In due time.

Actually, you can pray that I make it out of the country tomorrow. I remembered tonight that my visa here was only good for one month and expired some time ago. Ray is checking into it tomorrow. Hopefully places are open on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home